Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

Today is the day. And I am proud to say, along with hopefully all of you, that

You may have noticed that I've never blogged about my political views and beliefs on here. That's not because I think it is wrong to do so, or because it simply doesn't matter to me and I just don't care, or because I haven't made an informed, thoughtful decision, or because I'm not passionate about the affairs of this country we call ours.
Rather, it was a conscious decision on my part to NOT blog about such things because I choose not to bring politics into this happy place of mine. I know there are people out there who would both agree and strongly disagree with me, and that's ok-- but I don't feel that THIS is the place I want to discuss it. It's entirely my own personal feeling, and that's the beauty of having a blog-- it's yours to do with as you want or don't want.
I like to think that if I DID choose to write about my political decisions and beliefs that all of you, my readers and friends who I've come to love very much, would show me the same respect and friendliness that I honestly hope I have shown those of you who have decided to write about politics, whether I agreed with you or not. Politics can be quite tricky and divisive, we all know that, but hopefully we could all refrain from discriminating against, hating, or judging each other simply because some of us might happen to think very differently. We're all entitled to our own opinions and beliefs, however they may have been shaped-- that's one of the blessings of living in a country like America!
So, no, I'm not going to write about my decisions on here, but any of you who've read my blog for any length of time know that I'm a Christian, a believer in God and the Bible, a woman who holds her faith very dear-- I've made no secret of that. By God's grace it's a part of who I am, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Thus, I'm sure most of you can guess what some of my political thoughts and beliefs are. And that is all I'm going to say about that! :)

One thing I've heard a lot about in the many many months that have led us up to this day is HOPE. I like hope. I believe in hope. Hope is necessary! But I've realized more strongly than ever that my hope does not lie within one man. No one man alone, be he Republican or Democrat, can ever really bring the change that I hope and pray we will see someday in our country.

I was nervous about today, stressed out, tired of so many different things about this election. And then I providentially listened to a certain song, whose words are the perfect "election day" comfort:

"My heart is not proud, oh Lord my God

My eyes are humbly fixed on You

In matters too great for me to know,

Like a child I will trust them to You.

For I have stilled and quieted my soul
Like a weaned child within me
Be still my soul
Be still my soul

Forgive this proud heart, oh my God

Humbly fix my eyes on You

In matters too great for me to know

Like a child may I trust them to You

For I have stilled and quieted my soul
Like a weaned child within me
Be still my soul
Be still my soul"

These words are from Psalm 131. Do you know what the last verse in that Psalm says?

"Hope in the Lord, from this time forth and forever."

Amen to that.

God be praised, no matter what today's outcome may be!!

16 comments:

*CPA* Su said...

Beautifully written post Talia!

alyssa said...

Good post Talia, I concur :-)

Anonymous said...

That was very well written and said. No one but Christ will can give true hope. We can trust that he has everything in his will and his plan.

Kourtni said...

I love this post. I wish I had written it. HAHA. See you tonight, lovely friend.

Lydia said...

what a great post my fabulous sister! It couldn't have been said better. What a comfort to know that no matter what happens God is in control and He works all things for our good. That song is so gorgeous. It's one of my favorites.

Jerusha Abigail said...

What a terrific post, sister! honestly so very true. It's during these kind of times that I'm so thankful I'm a Christian and can have faith in God to bring things about to our good and know that all is in His plan! great song too! one of my favorites. let's pray for a good outcome to this election

Unknown said...

Amen, Talia! Love your neighbor.

Peace - Rene

Jeremy said...

Very well-spoken, sweetie. <3

But everyone knows Ron Paul will save the day! ;o)

Heh

bandofbrothers said...

I agree 100% with every word you wrote. Our hope is in the Lord!

sarah marie p said...

Yay for voting! Today is so exciting!

Anonymous said...

I'm not just saying this because I voted the way you did (and for the same reasons, haha), but I really, truly appreciate your class. I can understand not wanting to bring politics into our happy little blog world because it just riles everyone up so much!

Everyone has differing opinions and are definitely allowed to express them, but hating on people who don't agree with you is hurtful, as I've found especially true in the past few days. I don't want to get involved, but that doesn't mean I'm not intelligent, that I don't know my stuff, or that I'm ashamed of what I believe in. I just want to save friendships!

Rub that baby belly for me!

Anonymous said...

Very well put Talia.

Lisa said...

Yep.

"...For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God." - Romans 13:1

oh, hello friend. said...

Thanks for this message, Talia!

It is truly an encouraging thought for the day considering I know I've a bit discouraged at what the outcome can be today. I've been saying half-hearted prayers all day hoping God will be over this election but not really having enough faith that the right leader for this country will win. But truly, we must hope in our Lord! Thanks for that simple reminder that my wavering heart is so quick to forget.

I'm with Morgan, you are a very classy lady ;)

While I visit so many friend's blogs whom to choose to be outspoken and post banners/messages about who they are voting for, I don't loose any respect or feel different about them in any way. That's who they've chosen. I happen to feel differently based on my beliefs and values. But I'm not going to start any drama or ill-feelings over it.

Anyway, thanks again friend!

lorieloo said...

amenamenamen.=)

love you friend.

Sunny said...

I agree wholeheartedly. :)