Tuesday, July 22, 2008

{tasty tuesdays} Easy Orange Chicken

Who says Tasty Tuesdays has to be a recipe? It just has to be tasty, right?? (work with me here, folks....)

Just ask my husband... there has not been much spectacular cooking (or any kind of cooking, really) going on lately in our house. I've never enjoyed cooking in the summer anyway since it is so hot, and being pregnant with zero energy and not really knowing what, if anything, sounds good, certainly does not help. But! I think I may have come across something that saves us all. It's inexpensive, it's easy, it seems like a home-cooked meal, and it is oh-so-delish.


Trader Joe's frozen orange chicken. I made it last night with some steamed rice and a salad, and it was the perfect meal. I think my poor husband was just glad to be eating something other than fast-food, frozen pizza, or sandwiches. :)

I'm definitely going to try to find some more options like this to have on hand. It was just the right amount of cooking required, a lot healthier, and I felt like a much more accomplished mom and wife feeding my family a nice sit-down meal rather than another night of getting food from somewhere.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, I recommend you pick some of this up and try it. Your taste buds will be quite pleased.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay I will attest that this is by far the yummiest orange chicken I've ever had. Cale made this one night with TJ's frozen green beans (which are my favorites too) and my goodness, so yummy. And easy enough for husbands to make :)

We've been relying on these a lot more because it's less daunting than trying to think of a meal all on your own. It makes it more manageable.

Cheeziemommie said...

Seriously? We've tried the frozen orange chicken from Costco and it was N A S T Y !!! Then my husband saw a bottle of orange sauce at Panda Express but didn't buy it GRRR So this stuff is really good huh? Might just have to try it then!

sarah marie p said...

Gotta love Trader Joes! Yum! I think I've tried the one before and it's pretty good! I also really like the citrus glazed chicken. Ooh so easy to make! And so the tasty!

Lisa said...

OK, first time I made this Stephen hated it. Well then a month or two ago when I was just venturing back into the whole cooking thing and making really easy meals I decided to make it again and he liked it.

I like it because it isn't too spicey like the kind from Panda Express.

Anonymous said...

Orange Chicken is Logan's absolute FAVORITE food in the whole world, and if you ask him what he wants this is what he'll request. Even for breakfast a time or two... which I was too discusted to actually serve him. lol! I'll definitely try this kind because the Vons brand orange chicken was TERRIBLE, so we always just pick up an order at China Bistro when we get the craving... hmmm... maybe this would be good for dinner TONIGHT!

Lisa said...

This post totally inspired a trip to TJ's this afternoon where I picked up all my easy meal favorites from their freezer section, including orange chicken.

Anonymous said...

ok now i have a craving for orange chicken and i've never even seen a TJ's here...how sad! come eat chinese with me sister!!
<3 much love

Megan said...

Ok that's it, I'm slapping on some makeup, changing out of my pjs (please tell me you have pj days in your first trimester) and going over to Trader Joes after nap time. You're the 3rd person who has said this is amazing. And my family's been working on a lasagna I finally mustered up for the past 3 nights. LOL. Thank you again!

Lift Up Your Hearts said...

This very meal was a life-saver for me when I was pregnant with Canaan, too!

Megan said...

Ok, been to Trader Joe's and back- cooked the Orange Chicken and are done now. We are VERY satisfied. Jason LOVED IT too. Thanks!

Cheeziemommie said...

We went to Trader Joe's today too! LOL I'm actually ashamed to admit that it was my first time EVER! But we picked up the Orange Chicken - and a few other yummies - and came away with a new fave store AND meal! It was a HIT! I even attempted a lil fried rice on the side! Thanks again!

Sara said...

I HATE cooking in the summer. With Larry out of town, we've been having cereal and smoothies for dinner! I like the TJ's orange chicken but you have GOT to try the Sam's Club package. I wish I could remember the brand. It comes with fried rice too and is SOOOO good! It's my favorite meal right now!